We are happy to announce that ACM-W UK is launching a number of outreach initiatives!
We would like to thank Lubna Khan, Data Analyst at a UK digital media and publishing firm and ACM-W UK Publicity and Outreach Officer, for the wonderful presentation!
A good start is half the work!
If you wish to support ACM-W UK in its outreach initiatives as a volunteer participant or a mentor, please fill the form below to register your interest.
If you represent a charity/ school/ institution/ community group and would like to collaborate and engage with outreach initiatives facilitated by ACM-W UK, please fill the form below to register your interest.
If you would like to share your experience of running a similar program or would like to sponsor ACM-W UK outreach project, please contact us at email: email@example.com ”
“Outreach for students of Computing at comprehensive schools and sixth form colleges.”
Background: One of the key challenges faced by comprehensive schools is the low turn-out of girls in STEM subjects, specifically in Computing due to a perceived lack of opportunities and support for the minority gender, particularly impacting subject choices made by those from disadvantaged backgrounds. Opportunities to explore academic and career opportunities within computing, and to engage with professionals from diverse backgrounds are likely to make a significant contribution to raising aspirations of the focus group. ACM-W UK is committed to challenging stereotypes and supporting young aspirants, particularly girls and those from disadvantaged backgrounds, to choose computing for an academic and a career choice. ACM-W UK proposes to enhance learning experiences at secondary and further education levels by highlighting necessary skills needed for ongoing academic learning and professional practice through events and activities delivered by volunteer groups. The initiative is aimed at supplementing core topics from subject content for Computing under the National Curriculum for the focus year groups.
Key Objectives: The outreach initiatives launched by ACM-W UK are aimed at achieving the following objectives:
- Challenging stereotypes by promoting, supporting and highlighting women in computing.
- Supporting young people to transition into employment within the domain of computing by bridging the skills gap between education and employment.
- Promoting gender equality in computing education and in the workplace by building support groups and collaboration with the wider community.
- Highlighting women as role-models and projecting the importance of having women in professional roles as a means of achieving collective growth and progress.
- Supporting and encouraging more young people, particularly girls to choose computing at secondary and further levels of education.
- Raise awareness within the community on issues impacting equality, diversity and inclusion- particularly in education and employment.
Agenda for 2020:
Following consultation with the committee members, the following initiatives have been planned for Q3 and Q4 of 2020 with the broader objectives of ACM-W UK in view:
- (Virtual) Hands-on coding workshops.(Scope: Python Basics)
- Virtual interviews (Q&A sessions) with working professionals.
- Blog posts & video recordings of working professionals.
- Virtual talks and meet up sessions with recent university entrants and graduates.
Please, share the information with your friends/ colleagues/students!
Join our emailing list: http://jiscmail.ac.uk/ACMWUK
Follow ACM -W UK on